Air Fryer Homemade Chicken Vegetable Rolls
The magic ingredient to these egg rolls is the fish sauce, don't be scared! When you taste it you'll pleased with the rich flavor. Adjust the water amount in the recipe to your desired dip consistency. Some hoisin sauces are thicker than others.
Prep Time15 mins | Cook Time15 mins Servings: 6 servings
CHICKEN VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS
• 1 pound (454 g) ground chicken *any meat of your choice*
• 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
• 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly grated ginger root , optional
• 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce (or fish sauce for more flavor)
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sesame seed oil
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
• freshly grated black pepper
• 2 cups (70 g) cabbage , shredded thin
• 1/2 cup (65 g) grated carrot , (about 1 medium carrot)
• 3 green onions , small chopped
• 1 egg
• 1 package egg roll wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll pastry" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
• 1/2 cup (140 g) hoisin
• 1/4 cup (65 g) peanut butter
• chili hot sauce or Sriracha Sauce (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sesame oil , or to taste
• 2 teaspoons (5 ml) vinegar , or to taste
• about 1/2 cup (120ml) water , or to preferred dip consistency
Make Egg Roll Filling
1. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then add the garlic and optional ginger. Cook for about 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add the ground chicken, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onions. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Stir in the egg and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat, place the cooked filling in a colander to drain excess juices and allow to cool.
Make the Hoisin-Peanut Dip
1. While the chicken filling is cooling, make the dip. In bowl, combine all ingredients (hoisin, peanut butter, hot sauce, sesame oil, water, and rice vinegar) and whisk together. If you are making a very large batch, you can use a blender by blending all the ingredients together. But make sure you add enough water because some brands of hoisin are very thick.
Roll & Air Fry
1. Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken filling to each wrapper (depending on the size of the wrapper) Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling
2. Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water or beaten egg to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls.
3. Air Fry at 180 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook until the wrapper is crispy and browned. If you use the larger wrapper cook a little longer so that all the layers can cook through to avoid being tough and chewy.
4. Serve warm with hoisin-peanut dip. You can also wrap these chicken vegetable egg rolls in lettuce and eat them as lettuce egg roll wraps!