Air Fryer Crispy Tofu with Sticky Orange Sauce
Crispy Tofu with Orange Sauce is a lightened up version of the classic Chinese restaurant dish. Cubes of tofu are smothered in a flavorful sweet and tangy vegan orange sauce. No oil is needed to make this easy Asian healthy recipe.
Prep Time 15 mins | Cook Time 25 mins | Servings 4
Appliance : Any Milex Air Fryer
1 pound extra-firm tofu drained and pressed (or use super-firm tofu)
1 Tablespoon tamari
1 Tablespoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
For the sauce:
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
1 teaspoon fresh garlic minced
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Cut the tofu in cubes.
- Place the tofu cubes in a quart-size plastic storage bag. Add the tamari and seal the bag. Shake the bag until all the tofu is coated with the tamari.
- Add the tablespoon of cornstarch to the bag. Shake again until the tofu is coated. Set the tofu aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile add all the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and mix with a spoon. Set aside.
- Place the tofu in the air fryer in a single layer. You will probably need to do this in two batches.
- Cook the tofu at 390 degrees for 10 minutes, shaking it after 5 minutes.
- After you're done cooking the batches of tofu, add it all to a skillet over medium-high heat. Give the sauce a stir and pour it over the tofu. Stir the tofu and sauce until the sauce has thickened and the tofu is heated through.
- Serve immediately with rice and steamed vegetables, if desired.