Herb Baked Flatbread
• 1 cup warm water
• 2 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to top bread
• 2 tablespoons oil-free butter
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Toppings: 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced (1/4 cup); 1/2 medium purple onion, thinly sliced (1 cup); 1 small green or red pepper, thinly sliced (1/3 cup); 1/2 small eggplant, thinly sliced (1 cup); 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary; 3 teaspoons fresh sage
1. Combine 1 cup warm water, yeast, and sugar in a glass measuring cup, and stir to mix; let stand 10 minutes or until frothy.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and sea salt. Make a well in the center, and add butter and yeast mixture; mix thoroughly until it forms a stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place, free from draughts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
3. Preheat oven to 220°C. Punch dough down, and divide into fourths; let rest 15 minutes. Roll each portion into a flat 10- to 12-inch round on a surface dusted with cornmeal. Transfer each round onto the baking tray dusted with cornmeal. Top with vegetables and herbs, and brush with more butter. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste, and bake for 14 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Breadsticks: Divide dough into 4 pieces; roll each into a (15x10cm) rectangle. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into 5 strips. Pull or roll into long sticks: Starting from the center, press downward and outward while rolling toward the ends. Use as little flour as possible for the easiest rolling. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs (such as fresh rosemary). Bake at 220°C for 13 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.