Crisped Tofu with Greens and Peanut Dressing
• 1/3 cup white miso (soybean paste)
• 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
• 1/3 cup rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
• 1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts, divided
• 2 tablespoons oil-free butter
• 2 packages water-packed firm tofu, drained
• 8 cups gourmet salad greens
• Minced fresh chives (optional)
1. Combine first 4 ingredients,1/4 cup peanuts, and 1tablespoon butter in a smallbowl; stir with a whisk.
2. Cut each tofu blockcrosswise into 8 (15mm-thick)slices. Arrange tofu on severallayers of paper towels. Top withseveral more layers of papertowels; top with a cast-ironskillet or other heavy pan. Letstand 30 minutes. Remove tofufrom paper towels.
3. Baste the remaining butter over the tofu and place onto lower rack. Grill at 200º for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Remove and drain tofu on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining Tofu.
4. Place 1 cup greens on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with 2 tofu slices, 3 tablespoons miso mixture, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped peanuts.
Garnish each serving with chives, if desired.